How to write OKRs
When drafting objectives and Key Results, keep in mind the following best practices:
- Each level of an organization (company, team, and individual) should have 3-5 objectives per organization level
- Objectives have a finite endpoint (expand to China) rather than an ongoing task (make progress on international expansion)
- Objectives push beyond what seems possible and should feel a tad uncomfortable. For context, Google considers success achieving 70% of an objective, and 100% completion is considered remarkable performance.
For Key Results:
- ~3 key results per objective
- Key Results are measurable ( “contact 10 journalists” rather than “develop relationships with journalists”)
- Key Results are the steps to completing an objective, if you hit your key results than you accomplish your objective.
- Key results describe outcomes rather than activities (“publish conversion funnel report” instead of “analyze conversion funnel performance”)